Grandpont House is a university centre which has acted as a venue for academic, cultural, outreach and religious activities for students and others since 1959. Additionally, it offers accommodation to male students, both undergraduate and postgraduate. Grandpont House is run by a resident committee, headed by a director. There is also a resident chaplain. The activities of a spiritual or doctrinal nature are entrusted to Opus Dei, a personal prelature of the Catholic Church. Constructed over a branch of the Thames, overlooking Christ Church Meadows, close to the heart of the University, and within easy reach of its colleges, libraries and laboratories.
Like other such university centres in Britain (Netherhall House and Ashwell House in London, Coniston Hall and Greygarth Hall in Manchester) and throughout the world, Grandpont was inspired by St Josemaría Escrivá. He had in 1928 founded Opus Dei, an organisation which helps ordinary men and women strive for holiness in their everyday lives, through their work and family life. St Josemaría spent five consecutive summers in England, and was keen to see members of Opus Dei open a centre in Oxford. He visited Grandpont House in August 1958 and the following April the house and grounds were acquired for this purpose.